To effectively serve this role, the Chamber engages itself in the following activities:
- Advocacy: To Promote the interest of operators and stakeholders through appropriate Policy advocacy and monitoring of the enforcement of Government policies that affect the industry.
- Regional/Continental Trade: To Promote trade within the countries in the West African region as well as facilitating shipping business interests across the African countries by collaborating with Chambers of Shipping in other Countries within the Region and with relevant regional/continental trade groups.
- Training Programs: The Chamber on a monthly basis, runs different training programs designed to suit the needs of our wide clientele ranging from the operators to financial institutions and other interested individuals in an attempt to build local capacity.
- Consultancy: The Chamber undertakes in-depth feasibility studies for persons who are willing to make investments in the sector.
- Arbitration: The Chamber has been involved in several trades disputes between her members and government agencies thus saving huge legal fees and fostering better working relations in the industry.
- Specialised Ship Financing Training Programmes: The Chamber conducts specialised Ship Financing Training Programs under affliations with reputable International Maritime Institutions.
- Publications: ( Maritime digest) a quarterly journal maritime and activities including the Nigerian Port analysis.